Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Campus life part 7: Graduation at DCU

Today was graduation day here at DCU. Loads of smiling people in caps and gowns posing with or without also smiling parents in front of the university's buildings. I wish I had known it was today so I could have brought my camera with me. Actually, only the girls wear the caps. Someone told me that was because graduation for girls traditionally meant the 'top' of their education. Boys ofcourse can pursue a further scientific career, so they don't need a cap (yet). I'm sure that the feminists amongst you can/will make quite a big deal out of this, personally I think the caps are cool and the boys really are the ones that get the worst part of the deal here. All in all a very harry potter-esque experience I must say. without the broomsticks and the wands that is.
Next year it's my turn to wear one.