Sunday, May 14, 2006

Getting to work is a job in itself

No, this is not about me not being able to get up in th emorning, because that has never really been a problem for me. It's about travelling though Dublin during rush hour.
Being used to small towns and smaller-than-than-medium-sized cities. I have always lived close to anywhere I needed to go. I know I have been spoilt rotten, because my bike at home died from the loneliness and agony of never being used. Why cycle if you can walk has been my motto over the last years.
Enter work placement on the south-side of Dublin city centre.
I have always wondered why there are so many people walking around in Dublin in their nice suits with shiny white runners on their feet. I now know the reason.
Although the busses can take you everywhere in the city, this is, unfortunately, just hypothetical. Usually, you take whatever bus stops close to your home and that will probably bring you to the city centre. Probably, in the sense that it is likely to either get completely stuck in traffic or break down. From the city centre, you'll probably have to get another bus that will bring you to your workplace.
In the end, you'll probably get stuck somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, and find yourself walking the rest of the distance. Hence the runners (and the little backpack that contains their real work shoes).
Lucky for me, I have so far actually made it in to town, even though I usually don't reach the south-side by bus because the streets turn into parkinglots. the museum is a 15 minute walk from there, so I'm not doing too bad really.
My way home is a different story all together. If I finish even half an hour later than usual, I might as well walk all the way home (which takes approx. 1.5 hr altogether) since the bus will be stuck in traffic even before it gets to my stop.
Good thing they are planning a lightrail and metro system now. SO in 10 years or so, the problem will be a lot smaller. Hopefully for the Dubs.