Sunday, July 23, 2006

Oxegen!

A few weeks ago I went to to oxegen. Armed with funky pink wellies, muesli bars and a roll of toiletpaper, we set out to Punchestown racecourse. It's a two day festival, but since Karen refused to go camping, we drove up and down from Dublin. And since I didn't drive anyway (these idiots are still on the wrong side of the road, mind you!), I didn't mind getting into the passenger's seat of the car at night and being dropped home and picked up again in the morning.

On the first day it rained until about 6 pm. The rain was actually heavy enough for us to decide not to go and see anything that was not playing in a tent. Streams of water made their way through the public inside the tents anyway. Thank god for my wellies, otherwise I would have had very cold and wet feet. Fortunately the wethaer cleared up later on though. Highlights of the day: deathcab for cutie, Gomez, the Who and Eels.

The sunday was very sunny. yeah! Time to see a lot of bands. Highlights were the Zutons, the Feeling, Clap your hands and say yeah, Sigur Ros, Arctic Monkeys and the Charlatans. The Chilli Peppers were shite. Endless guitar solos get very old really fast. I know that, you know that. In fact, everybody knows that. So why don't they?

Oh and I saw Jerry Flannery. Irish Rugby player for Munster and Ireland. Of course all the people I was with play tennis and for them the only event on grass that actually matters is Wimbledon. So when I saw him first on saturday I had to explain all the Irish people around me who the man was (how postmodern....;0p). Then on Sunday I saw him again and even got a picture. yeah!

So, that's that for today.

For the rest, the weather is really nice. 20 - 25 degrees and actually a bit chilly sometimes. Of course my flatmates think they're melting on the spot. Not used to anything, these people over here.....