Friday, August 04, 2006

I wish I was a prawn cracker with flowers in my hair...

Yes, last weekend was Cambridge time again...

Because I had to go to London to look at a few exhibitions for my thesis, I decided to combine the trips and head over to Engerland a few days early this year. My trip began on Monday afternoon when a Ryanair plane brought me to a melting London. A train from stansted, a bus and a tube later Emma picked a soaking wet mariekschen up at the tube station and treated me on nice cold water and a lovely home made shepard's pie. Thanks!
Tuesday was going to be the warmest day of the week and perfect to look at dead people. The exhibition was pretty much disappointing and not nearly as well done as bodyworlds. In a way that is good, beacuse I can criticise it in my thesis. ghe!
Wednesday I had an interview at the Royal College of Surgeons in London and the curator told me everything there is to know about John Hunter and his eerie collection. Another day well spent. I popped in to the British Museum as well to have a look at the mummies. The building is absolutely amazing and the collections are legendary. The aircon, however, was not, so I decided not to hang around too long.
When I got back to Emma's we loaded all our luggage onto our backs and hopped back on the tube with Greenwich as our destination to pick up Emma's tent. After that, George picked us up at the train station and brought us to his house. The final leap of the journey started on thursday morning; the car was packed, the tires filled with air and up to Cambridge we went.

It's always nice to arrive at the campsite. Meet your friends, camp at the exact same spot as the years before and, very important, find out that they did not move the Guinness tent either.
It was yet another great edition with great bands, lovely weather and good company. And of ocurse the late night sessions:

Alistair: I can play anything as long as it's in the key of G.
30 mins later
Alistair: This banjo is drunk.

What more is there to say....

Johnnie (singing to himself): I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair..
Wee Dave: Where do I know that from?
Johnnie: oh it's in the charts now.
Wee Dave: ah, alright. So, prawn cracker, is it?
mariekschen: ......

that about sums it all up I guess.

and some pics for the fans....