Friday, October 07, 2005

Campus life part 2: clubs and societies day

This week all the students had the opportunity to join the various clubs and societies on campus. For a mere 4 euros you could get a membership to for example the "murder she wrote society" - for all of you who just love a good detective, and preferably one with murder in it ofcourse. The "style soc" who publish their own magazine about, well, style - forget vogue, get 'the look'. Or maybe the "games soc" or the "snowboard club" or "paintball soc". "I am sure you want to join our American Football club". "Ehm no, I'd rather keep my collar bones in one piece, thank you."
All ofcourse very tempting, but no. Instead I went for the "film soc", since free movies all year for just 4 euros is not bad at all, the "media production society" - after this year I'll know how to edit a documentary and make radio - and the "trampoline club" (nothing beats those giant air castles you could jump around in as a kid, so why not do that on a weekly basis on a trampoline).
I thought about trying one of the typical Irish sports such as Gaelic Football or Camogie (female branch of Hurling). But since I don't know any of the rules and especially Hurling and Camogie are downright dangerous, I opted out. Think I'll just stick to watching the games.